Commitment: Flexible – 15 week internship
Paid/unpaid: Unpaid (£10 travel expenses reimbursed)
Location: Mainly based at The Cancerkin Centre (Royal Free Hospital, Hampstead), with health promotion work based mainly in East London locations
Founded in 1986, Cancerkin was the first dedicated holistic breast cancer charity based on a hospital site (the Royal Free Hospital in North London). Cancerkin’s East London Programme was launched in 2009 in response to the report that East London had some of the highest breast cancer mortality rates in the UK. In order to tackle this high breast cancer mortality rate, the Programme aims to improve breast awareness in East London.
We are currently recruiting Awareness Ambassadors, trained volunteers, whose role is to organise breast cancer awareness events in partnership with local community organisation.
- Research community centres based in East London and establish relationships
- Organise breast cancer awareness events in collaboration with these centres
- Prepare and deliver presentations on breast cancer awareness and support
- Interact with patients at the Royal Free Hospital
- Assist in evaluating and monitoring the progress of the programme
Benefits to the volunteers
- Receive training in breast health promotion, collaboration and event management skills
- Gain excellent organisational and communication skills
- Learn how to monitor and evaluate progress
- Gain hands-on experience of working in a busy office and on a hospital site
- Good oral and written communication skills
- Good interpersonal skills
- Computer skills, including knowledge of Microsoft Office and Excel
- Well organised, able to prioritise and proven team-work and people management skills
- Some experience in either project or event management or of working with marginalised groups in London
Please email your CV and covering letter (1 page) to Xanthe Roantree (Programme Manager) at email@example.com by Tuesday 10 March. A training day will be held at the Cancerkin Centre on 25 March.